Nigerian Govt Donates N5bn to Kano Market Fire Victims
- 2 days ago
- 1 min read

The Federal Government has approved a N5 billion relief package for traders affected by the devastating fire that tore through Singer Market in Kano.
Vice President Kashim Shettima announced the intervention during a visit to the market on Monday, describing the incident as a national loss with far-reaching economic consequences.
President Bola Tinubu had earlier extended condolences to the victims and families of those who died in the incident. Initial reports confirmed at least seven fatalities linked to the fire.
He said the destruction goes beyond Kano State, noting that the market plays a significant role in regional commerce. The inferno, which broke out on Saturday, destroyed goods and property estimated to be worth billions of naira. Thousands of traders were left counting heavy losses as more than 1,000 shops were reportedly reduced to ashes.
During the visit, the Vice President was joined by the governors of Jigawa, Kebbi, and Imo states. Prayers were offered for the victims, while assurances were given that support would be provided to help affected traders rebuild their businesses.
Chairperson of Singer Market, Junaid Zakari, said the blaze ranks among the worst disasters in the market’s history. He confirmed that several residential-style buildings housing small-scale businesses were completely destroyed.
Authorities have commenced investigations to determine the exact cause of the fire and the circumstances surrounding the recorded deaths.













Comments