top of page
DiasporaNewsNG.com

Diaspora Investors Accuse Umahi of Dragging Tinubu Into Lagos–Calabar Highway Dispute

  • Writer: Ajibade  Omolade Chistianah
    Ajibade Omolade Chistianah
  • Oct 3
  • 2 min read


ree

Diaspora investors in WINHOMES Estate have accused the Minister of Works, David Umahi, of politicising the demolition dispute surrounding the Lagos–Calabar Coastal Highway project by repeatedly invoking President Bola Tinubu’s name.

ree

In a strongly worded statement signed by the CEO of WINHOMES Global Services, Engr. Stella Okengwu, the investors said the minister’s remarks are “misleading and damaging” to investor confidence.

“Repeatedly invoking the President’s name in this dispute is both inappropriate and damaging. Presenting a legal conflict as though it bears presidential endorsement erodes investor confidence, paints Nigeria as a country where executive interference trumps judicial independence, and sends the wrong signal to the international community,” the statement read.


The group faulted Umahi’s claim that only four hectares of WINHOMES land were affected, insisting the estate represents over $250 million in diaspora investment covering a much larger area. They also rejected his assertion that the Federal Government had secured judgment in its favour, stressing that Suit No.


FHC/L/CS/1063/25 before Justice Akintayo Aluko at the Federal High Court, Lagos, remains pending.


“No trial has commenced, no judgment has been delivered, and any suggestion otherwise is a reckless distortion,” the investors stated.
ree

They further alleged that Umahi personally invited diaspora representatives to a meeting and promised to escalate the matter to the President, contrary to his public denials. According to the group, video evidence of the invitation exists and could be released if necessary.

Beyond the demolition, the investors called for an investigation into an alleged ₦200 million cash payment linked to the Ministry of Works, urging the EFCC and DSS to act in the interest.

The group also cited MTN Africa’s public warning against diverting the coastal highway through the estate, accusing the Ministry of ignoring expert advice and due process.

“Our goal is not only to defend our investments but also to expose the wider risks of arbitrary governance to any investor considering Nigeria as a viable destination,” Okengwu said.


Meanwhile, Minister Umahi has maintained that only a fraction of WINHOMES land was impacted and that the government’s actions were lawful. He previously insisted the estate’s demolished structure was limited to a gatehouse, for which N₦19 million was paid in compensation.

ree

The controversy, which pits federal authorities against diaspora stakeholders, is now before the courts, with both sides trading accusations of misinformation and political manipulation.

 
 
 

Comments


bottom of page