Nigeria Dismisses U.S. Visa Policy Justification, Denies Ending Five-Year Visas for Americans
- Ajibade Omolade Chistianah
- Jul 11
- 2 min read

The Federal Government of Nigeria has firmly denied claims that it stopped issuing five-year multiple-entry visas to U.S. citizens, rejecting the United States’ justification for restricting visa access to Nigerians based on reciprocity.
The U.S. Embassy in Abuja, earlier this week, announced a new visa policy under which most Nigerian applicants for non-immigrant visas will now receive single-entry visas valid for just three months. The policy took immediate effect and, according to U.S. authorities, was based on visa reciprocity principles. But in a swift and strongly worded response, the Nigerian Presidency dismissed the U.S. position as inaccurate and misleading.
In a statement issued on Thursday by Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, the Presidency reaffirmed that Nigeria has not suspended or altered the issuance of five-year multiple-entry non-immigrant visas to U.S. citizens.
“Contrary to misinformation circulating online, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has never stopped the issuance of five-year multiple-entry visas to U.S. citizens,” the statement read.

“Immediately after assuming office, the President directed that all bilateral agreements be fully implemented and that Nigeria maintain the principle of reciprocity in diplomatic relations.”
The Presidency clarified that the three-month, single-entry restriction being referenced by the U.S. applies only to Nigeria’s newly introduced e-visa system, which is distinct from traditional visa categories.
The Nigerian e-visa, introduced to replace the now-defunct visa-on-arrival system, is designed for short-term business or tourism visits. It is a digital visa application that does not require physical embassy visits and is typically processed within 48 hours. Onanuga emphasized that the policy aligns with global standards and aims to enhance efficiency, transparency, and the ease of doing business.
“The e-visa system was created to prevent abuses tied to visa-on-arrival practices and promote investment, trade, and tourism,” he added.
Despite Nigeria offering this streamlined visa system to U.S. citizens, the U.S. has not reciprocated by offering a similar digital process for Nigerians. Still, the Nigerian government said it remains committed to diplomatic engagement to resolve the situation.
Further insight into the diplomatic tensions was offered by Foreign Affairs Minister, Ambassador Yusuf Tuggar, who linked the U.S. decision to broader geopolitical pressures. In a televised interview, Tuggar claimed that the United States is pressuring African nations, including Nigeria, to accept over 300 deportees from Venezuela, which Nigeria has resisted.
“We’re already managing our own challenges with a population exceeding 230 million. Accepting Venezuelan prisoners is not feasible,” Tuggar stated.
“The U.S. is wrong to cite reciprocity. Nigeria still offers five-year multiple-entry visas, and what we’ve done with the e-visa is improve our process — not restrict it.”
Despite the restrictive move by the U.S., the Nigerian government insists on a non-confrontational approach, pledging to continue engagements with Washington to resolve outstanding issues.
“In the spirit of mutual respect and long-standing friendship between our two nations, we will continue to pursue dialogue that ensures fair treatment for Nigerian citizens,” the Presidency said.

As global visa policies continue to shift toward digital systems, the Nigerian government is positioning itself as a willing participant in modernizing immigration but not at the cost of national dignity or under external pressure.











Comments