FG Opens Dialogue With Diaspora Investors Over Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway Dispute
- Ajibade Omolade Chistianah
- Sep 16
- 2 min read

The Federal Government has commenced discussions with Nigerian diaspora investors whose properties were affected by the realignment of the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway, signalling a possible thaw in a dispute that has dogged one of the administration’s flagship projects.
A statement on Monday by Stella Okengwu, representative of the affected investors, revealed that Minister of Works David Umahi met on August 6 with members of the Coalition for Civil Society of Nigeria in Abuja, where he assured them of a dedicated channel for dialogue.
Okengwu added that top officials are preparing to hold further talks with a delegation of the aggrieved investors.
The Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway
inaugurated by President Bola Tinubu in May 2024 is designed to stretch over 700 kilometres, linking Lagos with several coastal states. However, its controversial realignment has triggered lawsuits and demonstrations, especially after the demolition of properties in Okun Ajah, Eti-Osa Local Government Area, last October.
Among the structures removed was the $250 million WinHomes Estates project, backed by diaspora investors. Okengwu said the loss of the development, which had already created jobs and supported small businesses, shook confidence among Nigerians abroad looking to invest in their homeland.
“This gesture alone speaks volumes,” she said of the government’s readiness for dialogue. “It sends a clear message that Nigeria is serious about safeguarding foreign direct investment, particularly from its own citizens worldwide.”
She stressed that the investors were not opposed to national development but wanted fairness and legal protection for their ventures. “Our protest has never been political or anti-government,” Okengwu noted. “It was a call for fairness, for restitution, and for the rule of law.”
She praised civil society groups whose mediation helped open communication between the parties, calling their role “a bridge-building effort in national healing.” The investors urged the government to compensate affected subscribers and guarantee stronger protections for future diaspora-led projects.
The Ministry of Works has yet to announce a compensation framework, but the meeting marks the first step toward resolving tensions surrounding the highway, which officials describe as vital to boosting trade, tourism, and regional integration along Nigeria’s coast.









