ASUU Rejects FG Proposal, Begins Two-Week Warning Strike Nationwide
- Ajibade Omolade Chistianah
- Oct 13
- 2 min read

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) on Monday commenced a two-week warning strike across public universities in Nigeria, following the expiration of its 14-day ultimatum to the Federal Government.
Announcing the decision at a press conference held at the University of Abuja, ASUU President, Professor Chris Piwuna, said the union was left with no option after what he described as the Federal Government’s failure to address long-standing issues affecting the university system.
According to Piwuna, “there is nothing sufficient on the ground to stop the implementation of the ASUU-NEC’s resolution to embark on a two-week warning strike at the expiry of the 14-day notice given on September 28, 2025. Consequently, all branches of ASUU are hereby directed to withdraw their services with effect from midnight on Monday, October 13.”
The union’s demands include the conclusion of the renegotiated 2009 FGN-ASUU agreement, payment of withheld salaries and promotion arrears, revitalisation of public universities, improved funding, and an end to the alleged victimisation of lecturers in some institutions.
Government sources confirmed that a proposal was presented to ASUU last week in a final attempt to avert the strike, but the offer was rejected. Piwuna said the document presented by the Ministry of Education was “a total departure from the spirit and content” of the previous draft agreement, adding that ASUU will submit its own proposal pointing out the government’s inconsistencies and disregard for existing policies.
Reacting to the development, the Federal Government expressed disappointment over ASUU’s decision, describing it as “premature and uncooperative.”
In a joint statement by the Minister of Education, Dr. Tunji Alausa, and Minister of State for Education, Prof. Suwaiba Ahmad, the government reaffirmed its commitment to dialogue, warning that the “no work, no pay” policy would be enforced if the strike persists.
“The government has made a comprehensive offer addressing welfare, working conditions, and institutional governance. Dialogue remains the most effective path toward resolving disputes,” the statement read.
Meanwhile, the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) has urged both parties to return to the negotiation table to prevent further disruption of the academic calendar.
NANS Assistant General Secretary, Adejuwon Emmanuel, appealed to ASUU to consider the plight of students, stressing that repeated strikes have caused untold hardship and uncertainty.
As the industrial action begins, lectures across public universities have been suspended, raising concerns that the two-week warning strike could escalate into a full-blown shutdown if the impasse is not resolved promptly.













Comments